The Guardian had an article on game music last friday.
I have to agree with them that Bioshock's use of diegetic music is very effective at adding a real depth to the world. I don't think I've come across as good an example of the use of source music in games since Mafia's evocative use of Django Reinhart. It will be interesting to see how roles such as the Music supervisors used in film may start to emerge for games as well.
- 'Game Sound Design' links page.
- 'Game Music' links page.
- 'Film Music' links page.
- 'Film Sound and Sound Design' links page.
- Books, Journals, and Conferences
- Conference and Research Notes
- DVD's with Sound / Music commentaries or documentaries
- Play, Performance, Composition - Integrated Approaches
- The 'MSc.Sound and Music for Interactive Games' at Leeds Beckett University